VP of Engineering
MANTA is an award-winning product design and engineering consultancy in Cambridge, Massachusetts. We have over 25 years of experience in user experience, product design, engineering, and manufacturing services. We develop novel products for start-ups and Fortune 500 companies medical devices, robotics, biotech, and consumer electronic markets .
MANTA's nimble team brings together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve product challenges. Our user-centered design approach inspires technological innovation and gives clients a competitive edge. With an entrepreneurial spirit and exceptional service, we create products that shape the future. Discover more about our team and our work at MANTA by visiting www.mantadesign.com.
MANTA is hiring for a VP of Engineering to grow our company’s expertise in product engineering. This individual will be a hands-on leader responsible for all aspects of product development. Our projects range from technology assessments to end-to-end product development, ensuring you’ll never be bored.
At MANTA, we emphasize creative thinking, technical mastery, and fostering exceptional client relationships. The ideal candidate will enjoy tackling complex problems and finding inventive solutions. They will have a track record of innovative electro-mechanical development. They will have the interpersonal skills to guide clients through product development. Finally, they will also have the opportunity to shape the future of engineering at MANTA.
- Think creatively and analytically to develop comprehensive design solutions.
- Take the lead mechanical role on multiple projects.
- Act as the main point of contact to answer MANTA clients engineering questions.
- Understand project requirements, prepare for development challenges, and manage engineering resources.
- Ensure quality deliverables on schedule and on budget.
- Collaborate with industrial designers and user experience designers to integrate various stakeholder inputs.
- Manage documentation for regulatory compliance with MANTA’s quality system and industry standards.
- Adhere to disciplined design process using design controls, rapid prototyping and design reviews.
- Interfacing with contract manufacturers for pilot production and scale up.
- Personally execute mechanical design activities as required (CAD, engineering analysis, documentation).
- Identify team bandwidth gaps and hire new engineers and contractors.
- Train and mentor engineers to build an inclusive, creative, and results-driven team.
- Set clear goals and metrics for engineers and deliver timely performance reviews
- Partner with MANTA leadership to grow revenues and capabilities according to strategic plans,
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. Advanced technical degree (Master’s or PhD) in related field is desirable.
- 15+ years product development experience with significant work in developing class II/II medical device or combination drug-delivery products.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as an engineering consultant.
- Recent experience in a senior engineering role with project management responsibilities.
- Record of working through several concept-to-manufacturing product development cycles.
- First-hand knowledge of compliance with ISO13485 and FDA QSR.
- Analytical skills including finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- CAD Skills - surfacing and master model strategy in SolidWorks.
- Electro-mechanical design experience – motors, actuators, drive trains, bearings
- Experience with major production processes, including plastic and metal fabrication methods.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality, customer service and creative design solutions.
- Independence and autonomy in managing projects while collaborating with our team.
- Opportunities to grow within the organization.
- Competitive and negotiable compensation.
- Health and dental plan, flexible spending account.
- 401k with company contribution.
- Year-end bonus based upon annual company and individual performance.